Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to polarization: Polarization of light, Linear polarization, antenna polarization, Electric Polarization, dielectric polarization
1. The production or condition of polarity, as:
a. A process or state in which rays of light exhibit different properties in different directions, especially the state in which all the vibration takes place in one plane.
b. The partial or complete polar separation of the positive and negative electric charges in a nuclear, atomic, molecular, or chemical system.
2. A division into two conflicting or contrasting groups.
1. the condition of having or giving polarity
2. (General Physics) physics the process or phenomenon in which the waves of light or other electromagnetic radiation are restricted to certain directions of vibration, usually specified in terms of the electric field vector
po•lar•i•za•tion(ˌpoʊ lər əˈzeɪ ʃən)
1. a sharp division, as of a population or group, into opposing factions.
2. a state, or the production of a state, in which rays of light or similar radiation exhibit different properties in different directions.
3. the induction of polarity in a ferromagnetic substance; magnetization.
4. the production or acquisition of polarity.
In transverse waves, vibrations confined to one plane.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||polarization - the phenomenon in which waves of light or other radiation are restricted in direction of vibration|
optical phenomenon - a physical phenomenon related to or involving light
|2.||polarization - the condition of having or giving polarity|
polarisation d'une antenne