Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to polyandry: fraternal polyandry
1. The condition or practice of having more than one husband at one time.
2. Zoology A mating pattern in which a female mates with more than one male in a single breeding season.
3. Botany The condition of having numerous stamens.
pol′y·an′drous (-ăn′drəs) adj.
1. (Anthropology & Ethnology) the practice or condition of being married to more than one husband at the same time. Compare polygamy
2. (Zoology) the practice in animals of a female mating with more than one male during one breeding season
3. (Botany) the condition in flowers of having a large indefinite number of stamens
[C18: from Greek poluandria, from poly- + -andria from anēr man]
pol•y•an•dry(ˈpɒl iˌæn dri, ˌpɒl iˈæn-)
1. the practice or condition of having more than one husband at one time.
2. (among female animals) the habit or system of having two or more mates, either simultaneously or successively.
3. Bot. the state of being polyandrous.
the practice of having two or more husbands at a time. — polyandrous, adj.See also: Marriage