pomelo(redirected from pomelos)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
pom·e·lo(pŏm′ə-lō′) also pum·me·lo or pum·e·lo (pŭm′-)
n. pl. pom·e·los also pum·me·los or pum·e·los
1. A tropical Southeast Asian tree (Citrus maxima) closely related to the grapefruit and having very large round fruit with a thick rind and coarse-grained pulp.
2. The edible yellow fruit of this tree. In both senses also called shaddock.
[Probably alteration of pompelmous.]
n, pl -losAlso called: shaddock
1. (Plants) a tropical rutaceous tree, Citrus maxima (or C. decumana), grown widely in oriental regions for its large yellow grapefruit-like edible fruit
2. (Plants) the fruit of this tree
3. (Plants) chiefly US another name for grapefruit
[C19: from Dutch pompelmoes, perhaps from pompoen big + Portuguese limão a lemon]
n., pl. -los.
1. the very large, yellow or orange citrus fruit of a tree, Citrus maxima, of SE Asia, closely related to the grapefruit.
2. the tree itself. Also called shaddock.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pomelo - southeastern Asian tree producing large fruits resembling grapefruits|
genus Citrus - orange; lemon; lime; etc.
|2.||pomelo - large pear-shaped fruit similar to grapefruit but with coarse dry pulp|
citrous fruit, citrus, citrus fruit - any of numerous fruits of the genus Citrus having thick rind and juicy pulp; grown in warm regions
pomelo[ˈpɒmɪˌləʊ] N (pomelos (pl)) → pomelo m
pomelo(ˈpomələu) – plural ~ˈpomelos – noun
a large tropical citrus fruit similar to a grapefruit. pomelo pomelo jeruk 그레이프 프루트의 열매 pompelmoes ส้มโอ 柚子 柚子，文旦