Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to pons: medulla oblongata, midbrain
n. pl. pon·tes (pŏn′tēz)
1. A slender tissue joining two parts of an organ.
2. A band of nerve fibers on the ventral surface of the brainstem that links the medulla oblongata and the cerebellum with upper portions of the brain. Also called pons Varolii.
n, pl pontes (ˈpɒntiːz)
1. (Anatomy) a bridge of connecting tissue
2. (Anatomy) short for pons Varolii
n., pl. pon•tes (ˈpɒn tiz)
1. a band of nerve fibers forming the part of the brainstem that lies between the medulla oblongata and the midbrain.
2. any tissue connecting two parts of a body organ or structure.
[1685–95; < Latin pōns bridge]
A thick band of nerve fibers in the brainstem of mammals that links the brainstem to the cerebellum and upper portions of the brain. It is a major pathway for the transmission of nerve impulses among different portions of the brain.
A bridgelike structure, especially the brain stem between the midbrain and medulla.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Pons - United States coloratura soprano (born in France) (1904-1976)|
|2.||pons - a band of nerve fibers linking the medulla oblongata and the cerebellum with the midbrain|
neural structure - a structure that is part of the nervous system
brain stem, brainstem, brain-stem - the part of the brain continuous with the spinal cord and comprising the medulla oblongata and pons and midbrain and parts of the hypothalamus
respiratory center - the center in the medulla oblongata and pons that integrates sensory information about the level of oxygen and carbon dioxide in the blood and determines the signals to be sent to the respiratory muscles
n. L. pons, formación de tejido que sirve de puente entre dos partes.