Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to pontifical: Pontifical Mass
1. Relating to, characteristic of, or suitable for a pontiff.
2. Pompously dogmatic or self-important; pretentious.
1. pontificals The vestments and insignia of a bishop.
2. A book of forms for ceremonies performed by a bishop.
[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin pontificālis, of a pontifex, from pontifex, pontific-, pontifex; see pontifex.]
1. (Ecclesiastical Terms) of, relating to, or characteristic of a pontiff, the pope, or a bishop
2. having an excessively authoritative manner; pompous
(Ecclesiastical Terms) RC Church Church of England a book containing the prayers and ritual instructions for ceremonies restricted to a bishop
pon•tif•i•cal(pɒnˈtɪf ɪ kəl)
1. of, pertaining to, or characteristic of a pontiff; papal.
2. pompous, dogmatic, or pretentious.n.
3. pontificals, the vestments and other insignia of a pontiff, esp. a bishop.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Latin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pontifical - the vestments and other insignia of a pontiff (especially a bishop)|
vestment - gown (especially ceremonial garments) worn by the clergy
|Adj.||1.||pontifical - proceeding from or ordered by or subject to a pope or the papacy regarded as the successor of the Apostles; "papal dispensation"|
|2.||pontifical - denoting or governed by or relating to a bishop or bishops|
|3.||pontifical - puffed up with vanity; "a grandiloquent and boastful manner"; "overblown oratory"; "a pompous speech"; "pseudo-scientific gobbledygook and pontifical hooey"- Newsweek|
pretentious - making claim to or creating an appearance of (often undeserved) importance or distinction; "a pretentious country house"; "a pretentious fraud"; "a pretentious scholarly edition"