Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Shrine of Imam Reza
1. A doorway, entrance, or gate, especially one that is large and imposing.
2. An entrance or a means of entrance: the local library, a portal of knowledge.
3. The portal vein.
4. A website considered as an entry point to other websites, often by being or providing access to a search engine.
1. Of or relating to the portal vein or the portal system.
2. Of or relating to a point of entrance to an organ, especially the transverse fissure of the liver, through which the blood vessels enter.
[Middle English, from Old French, from Medieval Latin portāle, city gate, from neuter of portālis, of a gate, from Latin porta, gate; see per- in Indo-European roots. N., sense 3 and adj., from New Latin porta (hepatis), transverse fissure (of the liver), literally gate of the liver, perhaps ultimately translation of Akkadian bāb (ekalli), gate (of the palace), umbilical fissure of the liver (next to the transverse fissure).]
1. (Architecture) an entrance, gateway, or doorway, esp one that is large and impressive
2. any entrance or access to a place
3. (Telecommunications) computing an internet site providing links to other sites
a. of or relating to a portal vein: hepatic portal system.
b. of or relating to a porta
[C14: via Old French from Medieval Latin portāle, from Latin porta gate, entrance]
por•tal1(ˈpɔr tl, ˈpoʊr-)
1. a door, gate, or entrance, esp. one of imposing size and appearance.
2. an iron or steel bent for bracing a framed structure, having curved braces between the vertical members and a horizontal member at the top.
3. an entrance to a tunnel or mine.
4. Computers. a Web site that functions as an entrance to the Internet, as by providing useful content and organizing various sites and features on the World Wide Web or other parts of the Internet.
[1300–50; < Medieval Latin, n. use of neuter of portālis of a gate]
por•tal2(ˈpɔr tl, ˈpoʊr-)
1. noting or pertaining to the transverse fissure of the liver.n.
2. portal vein.
portal- An Internet site offering a directory of links to other sites.
See also related terms for links.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||portal - a grand and imposing entrance (often extended metaphorically); "the portals of the cathedral"; "the portals of heaven"; "the portals of success"|
|2.||portal - a site that the owner positions as an entrance to other sites on the internet; "a portal typically has search engines and free email and chat rooms etc."|
|3.||portal - a short vein that carries blood into the liver|
portal system - system of veins that carry blood from the abdominal organs to the liver
portal[ˈpɔːtl] N → portal m
portal[ˈpɔːtl] n → portale m
1. rel. al sistema portal;
2. rel. al punto de entrada de un microorganismo.