Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
pot·shotalso pot shot (pŏt′shŏt′)
1. A random or easy shot.
2. A criticism made without careful thought and aimed at a handy target for attack: reporters taking potshots at the mayor.
[So called because such a shot is fired by a hunter whose main purpose is to get food for the pot.]
1. a shot fired at game merely for food, with little regard to skill or the rules of sport.
2. a shot at an animal or person within easy range, as from ambush.
3. a casual or aimless shot.
4. a random or incidental criticism.
potshot- Comes from shooting an animal purely for food (pot), rather than for simple conquest.
See also related terms for shooting.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||potshot - a shot taken at an easy or casual target (as by a pothunter)|
|2.||potshot - criticism aimed at an easy target and made without careful consideration; "reporters took potshots at the mayor"|