Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Wikipedia.
a. Absorbed in thought; engrossed.
b. Excessively concerned with something; distracted.
2. Formerly or already occupied.
3. Already used and therefore unavailable for further use. Used of taxonomic names.
1. engrossed or absorbed in something, esp one's own thoughts
2. already or previously occupied
3. (Biology) biology (of a taxonomic name) already used to designate a genus, species, etc
1. completely engrossed in thought; absorbed.
2. previously occupied; taken; filled.
3. already used as a name, as for a species or genus, and not available as a designation for any other.
pre•oc′cu•pied`ly (-ˌpaɪd li, -ˌpaɪ ɪd-) adv.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||preoccupied - deeply absorbed in thought; "as distant and bemused as a professor listening to the prattling of his freshman class"; "lost in thought"; "a preoccupied frown"|
thoughtful - exhibiting or characterized by careful thought; "a thoughtful paper"
|2.||preoccupied - having or showing excessive or compulsive concern with something; "became more and more haunted by the stupid riddle"; "was absolutely obsessed with the girl"; "got no help from his wife who was preoccupied with the children"; "he was taken up in worry for the old woman"|
concerned - feeling or showing worry or solicitude; "concerned parents of youthful offenders"; "was concerned about the future"; "we feel concerned about accomplishing the task at hand"; "greatly concerned not to disappoint a small child"
1. absorbed, taken up, caught up, lost, intent, wrapped up, immersed, engrossed, rapt They were preoccupied with their own concerns.
preoccupied[priːˈɒkjʊpaɪd] ADJ (= worried) → preocupado; (= absorbed, distracted) → ensimismado, absorto
he was too preoccupied to notice → estaba demasiado ensimismado or absorto para darse cuenta
to be preoccupied about sth → estar preocupado por algo
to be preoccupied with sth: Britain was preoccupied with the war in France → a Gran Bretaña le preocupaba la guerra en Francia
you're too preoccupied with winning → estás demasiado obsesionado por ganar
adj look, tone of voice, smile → gedankenverloren; to be preoccupied with something → nur an etw (acc) → denken, sich ganz auf etw (acc) → konzentrieren; he has been (looking) rather preoccupied recently → er sieht in letzter Zeit so aus, als beschäftige ihn etwas; he was too preoccupied to notice her → er war zu sehr mit anderen Dingen beschäftigt, um sie zu bemerken
preoccupied[ˌpriːˈɒkjʊpaɪd] adj (absorbed) → assorto/a
preoccupied→ مَشْغُولُ البَال zamyšlený fordybet i gedankenverloren συλλογισμένος absorto ajatuksiinsa uppoutunut préoccupé preokupiran preoccupato 余念のない 몰두한 in beslag genomen åndsfraværende pochłonięty preocupado озабоченный tankfull ใจจดใจจ่อ kafasını takmış bận tâm 全神贯注的
a. preocupado-a, absorto en propios pensamientos.