Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Wikipedia.
Related to preparedness: Emergency preparedness
The state of being prepared, especially military readiness for combat.
the state of being prepared or ready, esp militarily ready for war
pre•par•ed•ness(prɪˈpɛər ɪd nɪs, -ˈpɛərd nɪs)
the state of being prepared; readiness, esp. for war.
- (I was) as unprepared to meet my mother as a sinner is reluctant to meet his Maker —Maya Angelou
- Got ready like a depression fighter going into the main bout at the Garden on Friday night —Norman Mailer, on preparing for a television appearance
- He [the district attorney] prepares his cases as if he were laying the foundations of society —Ross Macdonald
- In life, as in chess, forethought wins —Charles Buxton
See Also: LIFE
- Like a basketball coach in a close game, he looked poised to spring —Fletcher Knebel
- Poised like an acid-tipped arrow —Paige Mitchell
- Prepare as though for a death —Katherine Mansfield, on travel preparations
- Prepared … as healthy people are said to be prepared for death, in the sense of knowing it must come without in the least expecting that it will —Edith Wharton
- Prepared for combat [in business situation] like an ambitious and hungry heavyweight boxer before a fight —Andrew M. Greeley
- Prepared like a porcupine for cold weather —Anon
- Stands … ready like a retriever —Erich Maria Remarque
- Trained him like a race horse for academic success —Robert L. Heilbroner
The man whose educational upbringing Heilbrone likened to training a race horse is economist John Maynard Keynes.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||preparedness - the state of having been made ready or prepared for use or action (especially military action); "putting them in readiness"; "their preparation was more than adequate"|
state - the way something is with respect to its main attributes; "the current state of knowledge"; "his state of health"; "in a weak financial state"
armed forces, armed services, military, military machine, war machine - the military forces of a nation; "their military is the largest in the region"; "the military machine is the same one we faced in 1991 but now it is weaker"
ready - poised for action; "their guns were at the ready"