praetorian(redirected from pretorians)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
Related to pretorians: praetorian, Praetoriani
prae·to·ri·analso pre·to·ri·an (prē-tôr′ē-ən)
1. Of or relating to a praetor or the praetorship.
2. Praetorian Of or belonging to the Praetorian Guard.
3. Venal; corruptible: "A large praetorian bureaucracy, filled with ambitious, possessive ... and often sycophantic people, makes work and makes trouble" (Arthur M. Schlesinger, Jr.).
1. A praetor or ex-praetor.
2. Praetorian A member of the Praetorian Guard.
(Historical Terms) of or relating to a praetor
(Historical Terms) a person holding praetorian rank; a praetor or ex-praetor
1. (Historical Terms) of or relating to the Praetorian Guard
2. (sometimes not capital) resembling the Praetorian Guard, esp with regard to corruption
(Historical Terms) a member of the Praetorian Guard
prae•to•ri•an(priˈtɔr i ən, -ˈtoʊr-)
1. of or pertaining to a praetor.
2. (often cap.) of or pertaining to the Praetorian Guard.n.
3. a praetor or ex-praetor.
4. (often cap.) a soldier of the Praetorian Guard.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Praetorian - a member of the Praetorian Guard |
Praetorian Guard - the elite bodyguard of a Roman Emperor in ancient Rome
|Adj.||1.||praetorian - of or relating to a Roman praetor; "praetorial powers"|
|2.||Praetorian - characteristic of or similar to the corruptible soldiers in the Praetorian Guard with respect to corruption or political venality; "a large Praetorian bureaucracy filled with ambitious...and often sycophantic people makes work and makes trouble"- Arthur M.Schlesinger Jr.|
corrupt - lacking in integrity; "humanity they knew to be corrupt...from the day of Adam's creation"; "a corrupt and incompetent city government"