Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Of, relating to, or suitable for a procession.
1. A book containing the rituals observed during a religious procession.
a. A piece played or sung when the clergy enter a church at the beginning of a service.
b. Music intended to be played or sung during a procession.
of, relating to, or suitable for a procession
(Ecclesiastical Terms) Christianity
a. a book containing the prayers, hymns, litanies, and liturgy prescribed for processions
b. a hymn, litany, etc, used in a procession
pro•ces•sion•al(prəˈsɛʃ ə nl)
1. of or pertaining to a procession.
2. of the nature of a procession.
3. used in processions.
4. sung or played during a procession, as a hymn.n.
5. a piece of music, as a hymn or slow march, suitable for accompanying a procession.
6. a book containing hymns, litanies, etc., for use in religious processions.
[1400–50; late Middle English < Medieval Latin]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||processional - religious music used in a procession|
|Adj.||1.||processional - intended for use in a procession; "processional music"; "processional cross"|
|2.||processional - of or relating to or characteristic of a procession; "in good processional order"|