|Dictionary, Encyclopedia and Thesaurus - The Free Dictionary|
7,123,082,838 visitors served.
|Also found in: Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia||0.01 sec.|
1. shamelessly immoral or debauched
2. wildly extravagant or wasteful
3. a profligate person
[C16: from Latin prōflīgātus corrupt, from prōflīgāre to overthrow, from pro-1 + flīgere to beat]profligacy n ˈprofligately adv
prof•li•gate (ˈprɒf lɪ gɪt, -ˌgeɪt)
1. utterly and shamelessly immoral or dissipated; thoroughly dissolute.
2. recklessly prodigal or extravagant.n.
3. a profligate person.
[1525–35; < Latin prōflīgātus broken down in character, degraded, orig. past participle of prōflīgāre to shatter, debase =prō- pro-1 + -flīgāre, derivative of flīgere to strike; see inflict, -ate1]
profligate - To overcome or overthrow.
See also related terms for overcome.
Thesaurus Legend: Synonyms Related Words Antonyms
1. extravagant, reckless, squandering, wasteful, prodigal, spendthrift, immoderate, improvident the most profligate consumer of energy in the world
2. depraved, degenerate, immoral, wild, abandoned, loose, corrupt, dissipated, wicked, promiscuous, shameless, wanton, debauched, unprincipled, dissolute, iniquitous, libertine, vitiated, licentious setting his usual profligate and rakish example to society
depraved principled, moral, pure, decent, upright, virtuous, chaste, virginal
Want to thank TFD for its existence? Tell a friend about us, add a link to this page, or visit the webmaster's page for free fun content.
|Mentioned in||?||References in classic literature||?||Dictionary browser||?||Full browser||?|
I cannot say just why I conceived that there was something unhallowed in the matter of the book; perhaps this was a tint from the reputation of the rather profligate young man from whom my father had it.
You have profited by their toil to lead a profligate life.
The rest of Prince John's retinue consisted of the favourite leaders of his mercenary troops, some marauding barons and profligate attendants upon the court, with several Knights Templars and Knights of St John.
Profits & Earnings
Profits After Controllable Expenses
Profits Chargeable to Corporation Tax
profits from employment
profits of commerce
Profits on Hold Productions, LLC
Profits per Equity Partner
Profore four-layer system
Proform of Eosinophil Major Basic Protein
Proforma Disbursement Account
Proformance Sports Marketing and Entertainment
|Dictionary, Thesaurus, and Translations|
Free toolbar & extensions |
Word of the Day |
For webmasters: Free content | Linking | Lookup box | Double-click lookup