prohibitory(redirected from prohibitorily)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
Related to prohibitorily: prohibitory
pro·hib·i·tive(prō-hĭb′ĭ-tĭv) also pro·hib·i·to·ry (-tôr′ē)
1. Prohibiting; forbidding: took prohibitive measures.
2. So high or burdensome as to discourage purchase or use: prohibitive prices.
3. So likely to win as to discourage competition: the prohibitive favorite to win the nomination.
pro•hib•i•tive(proʊˈhɪb ɪ tɪv)
1. serving to prohibit or forbid something.
2. sufficing to prevent the use, purchase, etc., of something: prohibitive prices.
[1595–1605; < Medieval Latin]