Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Reaching or having recently reached puberty.
2. Covered with short hairs or soft down.
[Latin pūbēscēns, pūbēscent-, present participle of pūbēscere, to reach puberty, from pūbēs, adult.]
1. (Physiology) arriving or having arrived at puberty
2. (Biology) (of certain plants and animals or their parts) covered with a layer of fine short hairs or down
[C17: from Latin pūbēscere to reach manhood, from pūber adult]
1. arriving or arrived at puberty.
2. Bot., Zool. covered with down or fine short hairs.
[1640–50; < Latin pūbēscent- (s. of pūbēscēns), present participle of pūbēscere to attain puberty, become hairy or downy. See pubes1, -escent]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||pubescent - (of animals especially human beings) having arrived at the onset of puberty (the age at which sex glands become functional) but not yet fully mature; "the budding breasts of a pubescent girl and the downy chin of pubescent boy"|
immature - not yet mature
|2.||pubescent - covered with fine soft hairs or down; "downy milkweed seeds"|