Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
a. A short forceful exhalation of breath.
b. A short sudden gust of wind.
c. A brief sudden emission of air, vapor, or smoke.
d. A short sibilant sound produced by a puff.
2. An amount of vapor, smoke, or similar material released in a puff.
3. An act of drawing in and expelling the breath, as in smoking tobacco.
4. A swelling or rounded protuberance.
5. Puff pastry.
6. A light soft pad for applying powder or lotion.
7. A gathered, protruding portion of fabric.
8. A light padded bed covering.
a. An approving or flattering recommendation.
b. A piece of writing, as on the jacket of a book, containing often exaggerated praise, used for promotional purposes.
10. Genetics A localized region of swelling in certain chromosomes indicating the active synthesis of RNA.
v. puffed, puff·ing, puffs
1. To blow in puffs.
2. To come forth in puffs: steam puffing from an engine.
3. To breathe forcefully and rapidly: huffed and puffed up the stairs.
4. To emit puffs.
5. To take puffs on smoking material: puffing on a cigar.
6. To swell or seem to swell, as with pride or air. Often used with up: He puffed up and glared at the importuning questioner.
1. To emit or give forth in puffs.
2. To impel with puffs.
3. To smoke (a cigar, for example).
4. To inflate or distend: The wind puffed out the sail.
5. To fill with pride or conceit: The compliment puffed up his ego.
6. To publicize with often exaggerated praise: publishers who puff their new books.
[From Middle English puffen, to puff, from Old English pyffan, perhaps of imitative origin.]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||puffiness - an abnormal protuberance or localized enlargement|
spermatocele - a swelling on the epididymis or the testis; usually contains spermatozoa
symptom - (medicine) any sensation or change in bodily function that is experienced by a patient and is associated with a particular disease
enlargement - the state of being enlarged
bloat - swelling of the rumen or intestinal tract of domestic animals caused by excessive gas
bunion - a painful swelling of the bursa of the first joint of the big toe
dropsy, edema, hydrops, oedema - swelling from excessive accumulation of watery fluid in cells, tissues, or serous cavities
haematocele, haematocoele, hematocele, hematocoele - swelling caused by blood collecting in a body cavity (especially a swelling of the membrane covering the testis)
iridoncus - swelling of the iris of the eye
lymphogranuloma - swelling of a lymph node
|2.||puffiness - lack of elegance as a consequence of being pompous and puffed up with vanity|
inelegance - the quality of lacking refinement and good taste