pug(redirected from pugged)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A dog of a small sturdy breed developed in China, having a short muzzle, wrinkled face, short smooth coat, and tightly curled tail.
2. A pug nose.
1. Clay ground and kneaded with water into a plastic consistency for forming bricks or pottery.
2. A machine for grinding and mixing clay.
tr.v. pugged, pug·ging, pugs
1. To work or knead (clay) with water.
2. To fill in with clay or mortar.
3. To make soundproof by covering or packing with clay, mortar, sawdust, or felt.
A footprint, track, or trail, especially of an animal; a pugmark.
[Hindi pag, probably from Sanskrit padakam, footstep, foot, from padam; see ped- in Indo-European roots.]
A fighter, especially a boxer.
[Short for pugilist, boxer.]
1. (Breeds) Also called: carlin a small compact breed of dog with a smooth coat, lightly curled tail, and a short wrinkled nose
2. (Animals) any of several small geometrid moths, mostly of the genus Eupithecia, with slim forewings held outstretched at rest
[C16: of uncertain origin]
vb (tr) , pugs, pugging or pugged
1. (Ceramics) to mix or knead (clay) with water to form a malleable mass or paste, often in a pug mill
2. (Building) to fill or stop with clay or a similar substance
3. (Agriculture) (of cattle) to trample (the ground) into consolidated mud
[C19: of uncertain origin]
(Boxing) a slang name for boxer1
[C20: shortened from pugilist]
1. one of a breed of small, squarely built dogs with a deeply wrinkled face, tightly curled tail, and a short, smooth, usu. silver or fawn coat with a black mask.
2. a pug nose.
[1560–70; orig. uncertain]
pug′gish, pug′gy, adj.
v.t. pugged, pug•ging.
to knead (clay or the like) with water to make it plastic, as for brickmaking.
[1800–10; orig. uncertain]
a boxer; pugilist.
[1855–60; short for pugilist]
a footprint, esp. of a game animal.
[1860–65; < Hindi pag footprint]
Past participle: pugged
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pug - small compact smooth-coated breed of Asiatic origin having a tightly curled tail and broad flat wrinkled muzzle|
كَلْب صَغير ذو أنْفٍ أفْطَس
pug[pʌg] n (also pug dog) → carlino
a kind of small dog with a flat nose. mopshond كَلْب صَغير ذو أنْفٍ أفْطَس мопс pug mops, zakrslý buldog der Mops moppe ράτσα σκύλου doguillo mops پاگ mopsi carlinפג पग mopszli sejenis anjing kubbur (hundur) carlino ちんの一種 (애완용 발바리의 일종) 퍼그 mopsas mopsis anjing pug mopshondmops mops كوچنې سپى carlindogue mops мопс mopslík, zakrpatený buldog mops mops mops สุนัขพันธุ์ปั๊ก (bir cins) buldog 獅子狗，哈巴狗 мопс ايک قسم کا چھوٹا کتا chó púc 狮子狗，哈巴狗