Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to punk: punky, pink, Punk subculture
a. An often aggressive or violent young man: The building was set on fire by a bunch of punks.
b. An inexperienced young person: We don't want that little punk tagging along.
c. A cowardly or weak young man: Don't let him disrespect you—show him you're not a punk.
a. Punk rock.
b. A punk rocker.
a. Slang A young man who is the sexual partner of an older man, especially in prison.
b. Archaic A prostitute.
v. punked, punk·ing, punks Slang
To act in a cowardly manner. Often used with out.
1. To humiliate (someone). Often used with down or out.
a. To dupe or deceive.
b. To play a practical joke on.
1. Dry decayed wood, used as tinder.
2. Any of various substances that smolder when ignited, used to light fireworks.
3. Chinese incense.
1. Of poor quality; worthless.
2. Weak in spirits or health.
[Probably of eastern Algonquian origin.]
a. a youth movement of the late 1970s, characterized by anti-Establishment slogans and outrageous clothes and hairstyles
b. an adherent of punk
c. short for punk rock
d. (as modifier): a punk record.
2. an inferior, rotten, or worthless person or thing
3. worthless articles collectively
4. (Law) a petty criminal or hoodlum
5. obsolete a young male homosexual; catamite
6. obsolete a prostitute
inferior, rotten, or worthless
[C16: via Polari from Spanish pu(n)ta prostitute, pu(n)to male prostitute]
1. (Forestry) dried decayed wood that smoulders when ignited: used as tinder
2. (Elements & Compounds) any of various other substances that smoulder when ignited, esp one used to light fireworks
[C18: of uncertain origin]
1. any prepared substance, usu. in stick form, that will smolder and can be used to light fireworks, fuses, etc.
2. dry, decayed wood that can be used as tinder; touchwood.
3. a spongy substance derived from tree fungi.
[1680–90, Amer.; orig. uncertain]
a. something or someone worthless or unimportant.
b. a young ruffian; hoodlum.
c. an inexperienced youth.
d. a young male partner of a homosexual.
2. punk rock.
3. a style or movement characterized by the adoption of aggressively unconventional and often bizarre or shocking clothing, hairstyles, etc., and the defiance of social norms, usu. associated with punk rock musicians and fans.
5. Archaic. a prostitute.adj.
6. Informal. poor in quality or condition.
7. ill; sick: feeling punk.
8. of or pertaining to punk rock or the punk style.
[1590–1600; of obscure orig.]
punk′y, adj. punk•i•er, punk•i•est.
A type of rock music that originated in the mid–1970s, characterized by fast and aggressive playing, often deliberately unpolished, and confrontational lyrics and performance styles. Also known as punk rock.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||punk - an aggressive and violent young criminal|
bully - a hired thug
|2.||punk - substance that smolders when ignited; used to light fuses (especially fireworks)|
|3.||punk - material for starting a fire|
|4.||punk - a teenager or young adult who is a performer (or enthusiast) of punk rock and a member of the punk youth subculture|
punks - a youth subculture closely associated with punk rock music in the late 1970s; in part a reaction to the hippy subculture; dress was optional but intended to shock (plastic garbage bags or old school uniforms) and hair was dyed in bright colors (in Mohican haircuts or sometimes spiked in bright plumes)
|5.||punk - rock music with deliberately offensive lyrics expressing anger and social alienation; in part a reaction against progressive rock|
|Adj.||1.||punk - of very poor quality; flimsy|
colloquialism - a colloquial expression; characteristic of spoken or written communication that seeks to imitate informal speech
inferior - of low or inferior quality
thể loại punk rock