pustule(redirected from pustula)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to pustula: papula, pustular melanosis, pustular psoriasis
1. A small inflamed elevation of the skin that is filled with pus; a pimple.
2. A small swelling similar to a blister or pimple.
3. Something likened to an inflamed, pus-filled lesion: "a cool glimpse of green between hot pustules of sooty sprawl" (Nicholas Proffitt).
[Middle English, from Old French, from Latin pūstula, blister.]
1. (Pathology) a small inflamed elevated area of skin containing pus
2. (Pathology) any small distinct spot resembling a pimple or blister
[C14: from Latin pustula a blister, variant of pūsula; compare Greek phusallis bladder, phusa bellows]
1. a small elevation of the skin containing pus.
2. any pimplelike or blisterlike swelling or elevation.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Latin pūstula, pūsula a pimple, blister]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pustule - a small inflamed elevation of skin containing pus; a blister filled with pus|
hickey, pimple, zit - a small inflamed elevation of the skin; a pustule or papule; common symptom in acne
pock - a pustule in an eruptive disease