quadrate(redirected from quadrating)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to quadrating: Quadrate bone, quadrate muscle
a. A square or cube.
b. An approximately square or cubic area, space, or object.
2. Zoology A bone or cartilaginous structure of the skull, joining the upper and lower jaws in birds, fish, reptiles, and amphibians.
1. Having four sides and four angles; square or rectangular.
2. Zoology Of or being the quadrate bone or cartilage.
[Middle English quadrat, something square, from Latin quadrātum, from neuter past participle of quadrāre, to make square, from quadrum, square; see kwetwer- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
1. a cube, square, or a square or cubelike object
2. (Zoology) one of a pair of bones of the upper jaw of fishes, amphibians, reptiles, and birds that articulates with the lower jaw. In mammals it forms the incus
3. (Zoology) of or relating to this bone
4. square or rectangular
5. (tr) to make square or rectangular
6. (often foll by with) to conform or cause to conform
[C14: from Latin quadrāre to make square]
quad•rate(adj., n. ˈkwɒd rɪt, -reɪt; v. -reɪt)
adj., n., v. -rat•ed, -rat•ing. adj.
1. square or rectangular.
2. (of a heraldic cross) having a square at the juncture of the limbs.n.
3. a square.
4. something square or rectangular.
5. a bony or cartilaginous structure on each side of the skull in fish, birds, reptiles, and amphibians, to which the lower jaw is attached.v.t.
6. to cause to conform or harmonize; adapt.v.i.
7. to agree; conform.
[1350–1400; < Latin quadrātus, past participle of quadrāre to make square, derivative of quadrum square; compare quadri-]
Past participle: quadrated
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||quadrate - a cubelike object|
|2.||quadrate - a square-shaped object|
|Adj.||1.||quadrate - having four sides and four angles|
square - having four equal sides and four right angles or forming a right angle; "a square peg in a round hole"; "a square corner"
Having four equal sides and four right angles:
a. cuadrado, que tiene cuatro lados iguales;
___ lobe → lóbulo cuadrado;
___ lobule → lobulillo cuadrado.