Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to quantitative: Quantitative easing, Quantitative data
a. Expressed or expressible as a quantity.
b. Of, relating to, or susceptible of measurement.
c. Of or relating to number or quantity.
2. Of or relating to a metrical system based on the duration of syllables rather than on stress. Used especially of classical Greek and Latin verse.
[Medieval Latin quantitātīvus, from Latin quantitās, quantitāt-, quantity, from quantus, how great; see quantity.]
quantitative(ˈkwɒntɪtətɪv; -ˌteɪ-) or
1. involving or relating to considerations of amount or size. Compare qualitative
2. capable of being measured
3. (Poetry) prosody denoting or relating to a metrical system, such as that in Latin and Greek verse, that is based on the relative length rather than stress of syllables
ˈquantitatively, ˈquantitively adv
quan•ti•ta•tive(ˈkwɒn tɪˌteɪ tɪv)
1. being or capable of being measured by quantity.
2. of or pertaining to the describing or measuring of quantity.
3. pertaining to or based on the relative duration of syllables: Classical prosody was quantitative.
4. of or pertaining to the length of a speech sound.
Describes a statement, or analysis, which gives the amounts of an item present.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||quantitative - expressible as a quantity or relating to or susceptible of measurement; "export wheat without quantitative limitations"; "quantitative analysis determines the amounts and proportions of the chemical constituents of a substance or mixture"|
qualitative - involving distinctions based on qualities; "qualitative change"; "qualitative data"; "qualitative analysis determines the chemical constituents of a substance or mixture"
|2.||quantitative - relating to the measurement of quantity; "quantitative studies"|
|3.||quantitative - (of verse) having a metric system based on relative duration of syllables; "in typical Greek and Latin verse of the classical period the rhymic system is based on some arrangement of long and short elements"|
accentual - (of verse) having a metric system based on stress rather than syllables or quantity; "accentual poetry is based on the number of stresses in a line"; "accentual rhythm"
syllabic - (of verse) having lines based on number of syllables rather than on rhythmical arrangement of stresses or quantities