quoit(redirected from quoited)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. quoits(used with a sing. verb) A game in which players toss rings of metal, rope, or rubber at a stake, trying to get each ring to land with the stake through its center or close to the stake.
2. One of the rings used in this game.
[Middle English coyte, flat stone, quoit, from Old French coilte, coite, from Latin culcita, cushion.]
1. (Games, other than specified) a ring of iron, plastic, rope, etc, used in the game of quoits
2. slang Austral a variant spelling of coit
[C15: of unknown origin]
1. quoits, (used with a sing. v.) a game in which rings of rope or flattened metal are thrown at an upright peg, the object being to encircle it.
2. a ring used in the game of quoits.v.t.
3. to throw like a quoit.
[1350–1400; Middle English coyte, of obscure orig.]