raffish(redirected from raffishness)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
Related to raffishness: mulct
1. Cheaply or showily vulgar in appearance or nature; tawdry.
2. Characterized by a carefree or fun-loving unconventionality; rakish.
[Probably from dialectal raff, rubbish, from Middle English raf, perhaps of Scandinavian origin.]
1. careless or unconventional in dress, manners, etc; rakish
2. tawdry; flashy; vulgar
[C19: see raff]
1. disreputable or nonconformist; rakish.
2. gaudily vulgar or cheap; tawdry.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||raffish - marked by up-to-dateness in dress and manners; "a dapper young man"; "a jaunty red hat"|
|2.||raffish - marked by a carefree unconventionality or disreputableness; "a cocktail party given by some...raffish bachelors"- Crary Moore|
unconventional - not conventional or conformist; "unconventional life styles"