Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. An inclined surface or roadway connecting different levels.
2. A mobile staircase by which passengers board and leave an aircraft.
3. A concave bend of a handrail where a sharp change in level or direction occurs, as at a stair landing.
To decrease in volume, amount, or rate: As the project ramped down, several employees were laid off.
To increase in volume, amount, or rate: The factory ramped up production to meet the increased demand.
[French rampe, from ramper, to slope, rise up, from Old French; see ramp2.]
intr.v. ramped, ramp·ing, ramps
1. To rush around or act in a threatening or violent manner.
2. To assume a threatening stance, as in rearing up on hindlegs.
3. Heraldry To stand in the rampant position.
[Middle English rampen, from Old French ramper, to rear, rise up, of Germanic origin.]
ramp 3(rămp) also ramps (rămps)
A plant (Allium tricoccum) of the eastern United States having small bulbs and young leaves that are edible and have a pungent onionlike flavor. Also called wild leek.
[Variant of rams, from Middle English ramse, from Old English hramsa.]
1. (Building) a sloping floor, path, etc, that joins two surfaces at different levels
2. (Aeronautics) a movable stairway by which passengers enter and leave an aircraft
3. (Stock Exchange) the act of ramping
4. slang Brit a swindle, esp one involving exorbitant prices
5. another name for sleeping policeman
6. (intr; often foll by about or around) (esp of animals) to rush around in a wild excited manner
7. to act in a violent or threatening manner, as when angry (esp in the phrase ramp and rage)
8. (Stock Exchange) (tr) finance to buy (a security) in the market with the object of raising its price and enhancing the image of the company behind it for financial gain
[C18 (n): from C13 rampe, from Old French ramper to crawl or rear, probably of Germanic origin; compare Middle Low German ramp cramp]
1. a sloping surface connecting two levels; incline.
2. any extensive sloping walk or passageway.
3. a short concave slope or bend, as one connecting the higher and lower parts of a staircase railing at a landing.
4. the act of ramping.
6. to rise or rear with arms or forelegs raised as if to spring.
7. to leap or dash with fury.
8. to act violently; rage; storm: to ramp and rage.v.t.
9. to provide with a ramp.
10. ramp up, to increase quickly; accelerate: to ramp up interest rates.
[1350–1400; (v.) < Old French ramper to creep]
n. Usu., ramps.
a wild onion, Allium tricoccum, of the amaryllis family, of E North America, having flat leaves and rounded clusters of whitish flowers.
[1530–40; back formation from ramps wild garlic, variant of rams < Middle English < Old English hramsa broad-leafed garlic]
Past participle: ramped
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ramp - an inclined surface connecting two levels|
inclined plane - a simple machine for elevating objects; consists of plane surface that makes an acute angle with the horizontal
ski jump - a steep downward ramp from which skiers jump
|2.||ramp - North American perennial having a slender bulb and whitish flowers|
alliaceous plant - bulbous plants having a characteristic pungent onion odor
|3.||ramp - a movable staircase that passengers use to board or leave an aircraft|
|Verb||1.||ramp - behave violently, as if in state of a great anger|
|2.||ramp - furnish with a ramp; "The ramped auditorium"|
architecture - the profession of designing buildings and environments with consideration for their esthetic effect
|3.||ramp - be rampant; "the lion is rampant in this heraldic depiction"|
heraldry - the study and classification of armorial bearings and the tracing of genealogies
|4.||ramp - creep up -- used especially of plants; "The roses ramped over the wall"|
|5.||ramp - stand with arms or forelegs raised, as if menacing|
đoạn đường dốc
a sloping surface between places, objects etc which are at different levels. The car drove up the ramp from the quay to the ship. oprit مُنْحَدَر склон rampa rampa die Rampe rampe; sliske ράμπαrampa kallak(pind) سراشیبی؛ ramppi rampeרמפה ढलान rampa felhajtó, rámpa lereng landai rampur, skábraut rampa 傾斜路 (높이가 다른 두 면을 잇는) 사면 nuožulnuma, pandusas, rampa traps; slīpums pendakian opritrampe, opp-/nedkjørsel rampa, podjazd زينه،پاتخه، دزينى پوړۍ، ريونده لار rampa rampă de acces скат, уклон rampa klančina rampa ramp ทางลาด rampa 斜坡 спад, схил ڈھال đoạn đường dốc 斜坡