ranch(redirected from ranches)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
Related to ranches: dude ranches
1. An extensive farm, especially in the western United States, on which large herds of cattle, sheep, or horses are raised.
2. A large farm on which a particular crop or kind of animal is raised: a mink ranch.
3. The building on a ranch occupied by its operator; a ranch house.
4. A one-story house, usually having a low-pitched roof; a ranch house.
intr.v. ranched, ranch·ing, ranch·es
To manage or work on a ranch.
1. (Agriculture) a large tract of land, esp one in North America, together with the necessary personnel, buildings, and equipment, for rearing livestock, esp cattle
a. any large farm for the rearing of a particular kind of livestock or crop: a mink ranch.
b. the buildings, land, etc, connected with it
3. (Agriculture) (intr) to manage or run a ranch
4. (Agriculture) (tr) to raise (animals) on or as if on a ranch
[C19: from Mexican Spanish rancho small farm; see rancho]
1. an establishment maintained for raising livestock under range conditions.
2. a farm or ranchlike enterprise that raises a single crop or animal: a fruit ranch; a mink ranch.
3. the persons working or living on a ranch.
5. to own, manage, or work on a ranch.
[1800–10, Amer.; < Sp rancho rancho]
- biscuit shooter - A waitress at a lunch counter or a cook on a ranch.
- dude, dude ranch - A dude is a city-dweller, especially one vacationing on a ranch—hence, dude ranch.
- ranch dressing - A creamy buttermilk-based dressing with garlic and other spices and herbs, developed at Hidden Valley Ranch in Santa Barbara in the 1950s.
- ranch - From Spanish rancho, "group of persons eating together."
Past participle: ranched
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ranch - farm consisting of a large tract of land along with facilities needed to raise livestock (especially cattle)|
farm - workplace consisting of farm buildings and cultivated land as a unit; "it takes several people to work the farm"
|Verb||1.||ranch - manage or run a ranch; "Her husband is ranching in Arizona"|
farm - be a farmer; work as a farmer; "My son is farming in California"
مَزْرَعَه، مَرْبى ماشِيَه
hayvan üretme çiftliği
ranch[ˈrɑːntʃ] n → ranch m
ranch[rɑːntʃ] n → ranch m inv
a farm, especially one in North America for rearing cattle or horses. plaas مَزْرَعَه، مَرْبى ماشِيَه ранчо fazenda ranč die Ranch ranch ράντσοrancho karjafarm مزرعه دامداری karjatila ranchחווה पशु-फार्म ranč, velika stočna farma farm peternakan búgarður ranch, fattoria 放場 농장 ranča rančo ladang fokkerijkvegfarm, ranch rancho ورشو، بانډه، څړ ځاى، هغه ځاى ياكښت چه په هغه كى داسانو، ميږو اونورو مالو ساتنه كيږى fazenda ranch, fermă ранчо ranč ranč ranč ranch, farm ฟาร์มปศุสัตว์ hayvan üretme çiftliği (尤指北美的)牧場 ранчо مویشی خانہ nông trại （北美的）大牧场