rarefied(redirected from rarefiedly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
rar·e·fiedalso rar·i·fied (râr′ə-fīd′)
1. Not dense; thin: the rarefied air of the high peaks.
2. Belonging to or reserved for a small select group; exclusive: accepted in the most rarefied social circles.
3. Refined or esoteric: rarefied academic theorizing; a man of rarefied appetites.
1. exalted in nature or character; lofty: a rarefied spiritual existence.
2. current within only a small group; esoteric or exclusive
3. (General Physics) (of a gas, esp the atmosphere at high altitudes) having a low density; thin
1. lofty or elevated; exalted: the rarefied atmosphere of a scholarly symposium.
2. appealing to or exemplifying an exclusive group; select; esoteric: rarefied tastes.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||rarefied - having low density; "rare gasses"; "lightheaded from the rarefied mountain air"|
thin - relatively thin in consistency or low in density; not viscous; "air is thin at high altitudes"; "a thin soup"; "skimmed milk is much thinner than whole milk"; "thin oil"
|2.||rarefied - of high moral or intellectual value; elevated in nature or style; "an exalted ideal"; "argue in terms of high-flown ideals"- Oliver Franks; "a noble and lofty concept"; "a grand purpose"|
exalted, lofty, noble-minded, high-minded, idealistic, rarified, elevated, high-flown, sublime, grand
noble - having or showing or indicative of high or elevated character; "a noble spirit"; "noble deeds"