Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia.
to treat again.
1. the forced or strategic withdrawal of a military force before an enemy.
2. the act of withdrawing, as into safety or privacy; retirement.
3. a place of refuge, seclusion, or privacy.
4. an asylum, as for the insane.
5. a retirement or a period of retirement for religious exercises and meditation.
a. a flag-lowering ceremony held at sunset on a military post.
b. the bugle call or drumbeat played at this ceremony.
7. to withdraw, retire, or draw back, esp. for shelter or seclusion.
8. to make a retreat.
9. to slope backward; recede.
10. to draw or lead back.Idioms:
beat a retreat, to withdraw or retreat, esp. in disgrace.