Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to reactive: Reactive airway disease, Reactive arthritis, Reactive attachment disorder
1. Tending to be responsive or to react to a stimulus.
2. Characterized by reaction.
3. Chemistry & Physics Tending to participate readily in reactions.
re·ac′tive·ness, re′ac·tiv′i·ty n.
1. (Chemistry) readily partaking in chemical reactions: sodium is a reactive metal; free radicals are very reactive.
2. (General Physics) of, concerned with, or having a reactance
3. (Electronics) of, concerned with, or having a reactance
4. responsive to stimulus
5. (Psychiatry) (of mental illnesses) precipitated by an external cause: reactive depression.
reactivity, reˈactiveness n
1. tending to react.
2. pertaining to or characterized by reaction.
3. pertaining to or characterized by reactance.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||reactive - participating readily in reactions; "sodium is a reactive metal"; "free radicals are very reactive"|
chemical science, chemistry - the science of matter; the branch of the natural sciences dealing with the composition of substances and their properties and reactions
natural philosophy, physics - the science of matter and energy and their interactions; "his favorite subject was physics"
unreactive - (chemistry) not reacting chemically
|2.||reactive - reacting to a stimulus; "the skin of old persons is less reactive than that of younger persons"|
sensitive - responsive to physical stimuli; "a mimosa's leaves are sensitive to touch"; "a sensitive voltmeter"; "sensitive skin"; "sensitive to light"