Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal.
Related to recalcitrancy: obstinately
1. Stubbornly resistant to or defiant of authority or guidance. See Synonyms at obstinate.
2. Difficult to manage or deal with: a recalcitrant problem.
3. Resistant to chemical decomposition; decomposing extremely slowly.
A recalcitrant person.
[Late Latin recalcitrāns, recalcitrant-, present participle of recalcitrāre, to be disobedient, from Latin, to deny access : re-, re- + calcitrāre, to kick (from calx, calc-, heel).]
re·cal′ci·trance, re·cal′ci·tran·cy n.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||recalcitrancy - the trait of being unmanageable|
1. The disposition boldly to defy or resist authority or an opposing force:
2. The quality or condition of being unruly: