Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Wikipedia.
Related to recast: resoluteness
tr.v. re·cast, re·cast·ing, re·casts
1. To mold again: recast a bell.
2. To set down or present (ideas, for example) in a new or different arrangement: recast a sentence.
3. To change the cast of (a play or film, for example): After bad reviews, the director recast the play before the production moved to Broadway.
a. To reassign (an acting role) to a new actor: After the star performer broke an arm, the director decided to recast the lead.
b. To assign a new part to (an actor): The director recast a member of the chorus to a speaking role.
1. The act or process of recasting.
2. Something produced by recasting.
vb (tr) , -casts, -casting or -cast
1. (often foll by as) to give (someone or something) a new role, function, or character: recast themselves as moderate and kind.
2. (Theatre) (often foll by as) to cast (an actor or actress) again or in a different part
3. (Film) (often foll by as) to cast (an actor or actress) again or in a different part
4. (Broadcasting) (often foll by as) to cast (an actor or actress) again or in a different part
5. (Theatre) to cast new actors or actresses for a production of (a play, film, etc)
6. (Film) to cast new actors or actresses for a production of (a play, film, etc)
7. (Broadcasting) to cast new actors or actresses for a production of (a play, film, etc)
re•cast(v. riˈkæst, -ˈkɑst; n. ˈriˌkæst, -ˌkɑst)
v. -cast, -cast•ing,
1. to cast again or anew.
2. to form, fashion, or arrange again.
3. to remodel or reconstruct (a literary work, sentence, etc.).
4. to provide (a play, role, etc.) with a different cast or performer.n.
5. a recasting.
6. a new form produced by recasting.
Past participle: recast
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||recast - cast again, in a different role; "He was recast as Iago"|
performing arts - arts or skills that require public performance
cast - select to play,sing, or dance a part in a play, movie, musical, opera, or ballet; "He cast a young woman in the role of Desdemona"
|2.||recast - cast again; "The bell cracked and had to be recast"|
|3.||recast - cast or model anew; "She had to recast her image to please the electorate in her home state"|