recourse(redirected from recourses)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
Related to recourses: resources
1. The act or an instance of turning to or making use of a person or thing for aid or in an effort to achieve something: have recourse to the courts.
2. One that is turned to or made use of for aid or security: His only recourse was the police.
3. Law The right of a creditor to demand payment from an endorser or guarantor when the primary debtor fails to pay.
1. the act of resorting to a person, course of action, etc, in difficulty or danger (esp in the phrase have recourse to)
2. a person, organization, or course of action that is turned to for help, protection, etc
3. (Law) the right to demand payment, esp from the drawer or endorser of a bill of exchange or other negotiable instrument when the person accepting it fails to pay
4. (Law) without recourse a qualified endorsement on such a negotiable instrument, by which the endorser protects himself or herself from liability to subsequent holders
[C14: from Old French recours, from Late Latin recursus a running back, from re- + currere to run]
re•course(ˈri kɔrs, -koʊrs, rɪˈkɔrs, -ˈkoʊrs)
1. access or resort to a person or thing for help or protection.
2. a person or thing resorted to for help or protection.
3. the right to collect from a maker or endorser of a negotiable instrument.
[1350–1400; Middle English recours < Old French < Late Latin recursus, Latin: return, withdrawal, derivative of recurrere to run back]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||recourse - act of turning to for assistance; "have recourse to the courts"; "an appeal to his uncle was his last resort"|
|2.||recourse - something or someone turned to for assistance or security; "his only recourse was the police"; "took refuge in lying"|
resource - a source of aid or support that may be drawn upon when needed; "the local library is a valuable resource"
shadow - refuge from danger or observation; "he felt secure in his father's shadow"
recourse[rɪˈkɔːs] N to have recourse to → recurrir a
n. recurso, auxilio.