Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to relativistic: relativistic mass, relativistic velocity, Relativistic mechanics, Relativistic particle, Relativistic Effect, Relativistic physics
1. Of or relating to relativism.
a. Of, relating to, or resulting from speeds approaching the speed of light: relativistic increase in mass.
b. Having to do with or based on the theory of relativity: relativistic mechanics.
1. (General Physics) physics having or involving a speed close to that of light so that the behaviour is described by the theory of relativity rather than by Newtonian mechanics: a relativistic electron; a relativistic velocity.
2. (General Physics) physics of, concerned with, or involving relativity
3. (Philosophy) of or relating to relativism
rel•a•tiv•is•tic(ˌrɛl ə təˈvɪs tɪk)
1. pertaining to relativity or relativism.
a. subject to the special or the general theory of relativity.
b. having a velocity that is close to the speed of light: radiation from relativistic electrons.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||relativistic - relating or subject to the special or the general theory of relativity; "relativistic quantum mechanics"; "relativistic increase in mass"; "radiation from relativistic particles"|
|2.||relativistic - of or relating to the philosophical doctrine of relativism|