Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Acronyms, Idioms.
intr.v. re·mained, re·main·ing, re·mains
1. To continue in the same state or condition: These matters remain in doubt.
2. To continue to be in the same place; stay or stay behind: We are remaining at home.
3. To be left after the removal, loss, passage, or destruction of others: Only a few trees remained after the storm. See Synonyms at stay1.
4. To be left as still to be dealt with: A cure remains to be found.
5. To endure or persist: Despite the passing of so many years, the fond memories remain.
still present, or not yet having been dealt with
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||remaining - not used up; "leftover meatloaf"; "she had a little money left over so she went to a movie"; "some odd dollars left"; "saved the remaining sandwiches for supper"; "unexpended provisions"|
unexhausted - not used up completely; "an unexhausted well"
Being what remains, especially after a part has been removed: