remise(redirected from remises)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
1. (Law) (tr) law to give up or relinquish (a right, claim, etc); surrender
2. (Fencing) (tr) fencing to make a renewed thrust on the same lunge after the first has missed
3. (Fencing) fencing a second thrust made on the same lunge after the first has missed
4. (Historical Terms) obsolete a hired carriage
5. (Historical Terms) obsolete a coach house
[C17: from French remettre to put back, from Latin remittere to send back, from re- + mittere to send]
Past participle: remised
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||remise - an expensive or high-class hackney|
|2.||remise - a small building for housing coaches and carriages and other vehicles|
outbuilding - a building that is subordinate to and separate from a main building
|3.||remise - (fencing) a second thrust made on the same lunge (as when your opponent fails to riposte)|
fencing - the art or sport of fighting with swords (especially the use of foils or epees or sabres to score points under a set of rules)
knife thrust, stab, thrust - a strong blow with a knife or other sharp pointed instrument; "one strong stab to the heart killed him"