Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to removed: Once removed
1. Distant in space, time, or nature; remote.
2. Separated in relationship by a given degree of descent: A first cousin's child is one's first cousin once removed.
re·mov′ed·ly (-mo͞o′vĭd-lē) adv.
1. separated by distance or abstract distinction
2. (Law) (postpositive) separated by a degree of descent or kinship: the child of a person's first cousin is his first cousin once removed.
1. remote; separate; not connected with; distinct from.
2. distant by a given number of degrees of descent or kinship: My father's first cousin is my first cousin once removed.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||removed - separated in relationship by a given degree of descent; "a cousin once removed"|
|2.||removed - separate or apart in time; "distant events"; "the remote past or future"|
far - located at a great distance in time or space or degree; "we come from a far country"; "far corners of the earth"; "the far future"; "a far journey"; "the far side of the road"; "far from the truth"; "far in the future"
1. Far from others in space, time, or relationship:
Idiom: at a distance.
2. Far from centers of human population:
back, insular, isolated, lonely, lonesome, obscure, outlying, out-of-the-way, remote, secluded, solitary.
Idiom: off the beaten path.
removed[rɪˈmuːvd] ADJ to be far removed from sth → distar or apartarse mucho de algo
his political views are far removed from theirs → sus ideas políticas distan or se apartan mucho de las de ellos
an indifference not far removed from contempt → una indiferencia rayana con or que rayaba en el desprecio
first cousin once removed (= parent's cousin) → tío/a m/f segundo/a; (= cousin's child) → sobrino/a m/f segundo/a, hijo/a m/f de primo carnal