Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
n. pl. re·pos·i·to·ries
1. A place where things may be put for safekeeping.
2. A warehouse.
3. A museum.
4. A burial vault; a tomb.
5. One that contains or is a store of something specified: "Bone marrow is also the repository for some leukemias and lymphomas" (Seth Rolbein).
6. One who is entrusted with secrets or confidential information.
n, pl -ries
1. a place or container in which things can be stored for safety
2. a place where things are kept for exhibition; museum
3. (Commerce) a place where commodities are kept before being sold; warehouse
4. a place of burial; sepulchre
5. a receptacle containing the relics of the dead
6. a person to whom a secret is entrusted; confidant
[C15: from Latin repositōrium, from repōnere to place]
re•pos•i•tor•y(rɪˈpɒz ɪˌtɔr i, -ˌtoʊr i)
n., pl. -tor•ies.
1. a receptacle or place where things are deposited, stored, or offered for sale.
2. an abundant source or supply.
3. a burial place; sepulcher.
4. a person to whom something is entrusted or confided.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||repository - a facility where things can be deposited for storage or safekeeping|
archive - a depository containing historical records and documents
bank building, bank - a building in which the business of banking transacted; "the bank is on the corner of Nassau and Witherspoon"
drop - a central depository where things can be left or picked up
facility, installation - a building or place that provides a particular service or is used for a particular industry; "the assembly plant is an enormous facility"
depository library, library - a depository built to contain books and other materials for reading and study
lost-and-found - repository in a public building where lost articles can be kept until their owners reclaim them
museum - a depository for collecting and displaying objects having scientific or historical or artistic value
repertory - a storehouse where a stock of things is kept
sperm bank - a depository for storing sperm
storage space - the area in any structure that provides space for storage
storehouse, depot, entrepot, storage, store - a depository for goods; "storehouses were built close to the docks"
treasury - a depository (a room or building) where wealth and precious objects can be kept safely
|2.||repository - a person to whom a secret is entrusted|
|3.||repository - a burial vault (usually for some famous person)|