Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to republicanism: Individual rights
1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a republic.
2. Favoring a republic as the best form of government.
3. Republican Of, relating to, characteristic of, or belonging to the Republican Party of the United States.
1. One who favors a republic as the best form of government.
2. Republican A member of the Republican Party of the United States.
1. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) the principles or theory of republican government
2. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) support for a republic
3. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (often capital) support for a Republican Party or for the Irish Republican Army
re•pub•li•can•ism(rɪˈpʌb lɪ kəˌnɪz əm)
1. republican government.
2. republican principles or adherence to them.
3. (cap.) the principles or policy of the Republican Party.
the principles of a theory of government in which the supreme power rests in the body of citizens entitled to vote and exercised by representatives they elect directly or indirectly and by an elected or nominated president.See also: Government
republicanism[rɪˈpʌblɪkənɪzəm] N → republicanismo m
n → Republikanismus m