Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to resonator: Helmholtz Resonator
1. A resonating system.
2. A hollow chamber or cavity with dimensions chosen to permit internal resonant oscillation of electromagnetic or acoustical waves of specific frequencies.
3. A resonant circuit.
(Electronics) any body or system that displays resonance, esp a tuned electrical circuit or a conducting cavity in which microwaves are generated by a resonant current
res•o•na•tor(ˈrɛz əˌneɪ tər)
1. something that resonates.
2. an appliance for increasing sound by resonance.
3. an instrument for detecting the presence of a particular frequency by means of resonance.
4. a hollow enclosure designed to cause energy of a certain frequency, as sound waves or microwaves, to resonate.
5. an electrical circuit that exhibits resonance at a certain frequency.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||resonator - a hollow chamber whose dimensions allow the resonant oscillation of electromagnetic or acoustic waves|
chamber - a natural or artificial enclosed space
|2.||resonator - an electrical circuit that combines capacitance and inductance in such a way that a periodic electric oscillation will reach maximum amplitude|
|3.||resonator - any system that resonates|
system - instrumentality that combines interrelated interacting artifacts designed to work as a coherent entity; "he bought a new stereo system"; "the system consists of a motor and a small computer"