reticulum(redirected from reticulum (1) cell)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to reticulum (1) cell: reticulum cell sarcoma
n. pl. re·tic·u·la (-lə)
1. A netlike formation or structure; a network.
2. Zoology The second compartment of the stomach of ruminant mammals, lined with a membrane having honeycombed ridges.
3. Reticulum A constellation in the Southern Hemisphere near Dorado and Horologium.
[Latin rēticulum, diminutive of rēte, net.]
n, pl -la (-lə)
1. (Anatomy) any fine network, esp one in the body composed of cells, fibres, etc
2. (Zoology) the second compartment of the stomach of ruminants, situated between the rumen and psalterium
[C17: from Latin: little net, from rēte net]
n, Latin genitive Reticuli (rɪˈtɪkjʊˌlaɪ)
(Astronomy) a small constellation in the S hemisphere lying between Dorado and Hydrus
re•tic•u•lum(rɪˈtɪk yə ləm)
n., pl. -la (-lə).
1. a network; any reticulated system or structure.
a. a network of intercellular fibers in certain tissues.
b. a network of structures in the endoplasm or nucleus of certain cells.
3. the second stomach of cows and other ruminants, into which the coarse food regurgitated from the rumen is reswallowed.
[1650–60; < Latin rēticulum little net; see reticle]
The second division of the stomach in ruminant animals, which together with the rumen contains microorganisms that digest fiber. The reticulum's contents are regurgitated for further chewing as part of the cud. See more at ruminant.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Reticulum - a small constellation in the southern hemisphere near Dorado and Hydrus|
|2.||reticulum - any fine network (especially one in the body composed of cells or blood vessels)|
neural net, neural network - any network of neurons or nuclei that function together to perform some function in the body
|3.||reticulum - the second compartment of the stomach of a ruminant|
ruminant - any of various cud-chewing hoofed mammals having a stomach divided into four (occasionally three) compartments