Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to retrospective: Retrospective effect, Retrospective law
1. Looking back on, contemplating, or directed to the past.
2. Looking or directed backward.
3. Applying to or influencing the past; retroactive.
4. Of, relating to, or being a retrospective: a retrospective art exhibition.
An exhibition or performance of works produced by an artist over a considerable period.
1. looking or directed backwards, esp in time; characterized by retrospection
2. applying to the past; retroactive
(Art Terms) an exhibition of an artist's life's work or a representative selection of it
ret•ro•spec•tive(ˌrɛ trəˈspɛk tɪv)
1. directed to the past; contemplative of past situations, events, etc.
2. looking or directed backward.
3. retroactive, as a statute.n.
4. an exhibit showing an entire phase or representative examples of an artist's lifework.
5. an exhibit or series of performances representing the lifework of a composer, performer, etc.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||retrospective - an exhibition of a representative selection of an artist's life work|
art exhibition - an exhibition of art objects (paintings or statues)
|Adj.||1.||retrospective - concerned with or related to the past; "retrospective self-justification"|
backward - directed or facing toward the back or rear; "a backward view"
prospective - of or concerned with or related to the future; "prospective earnings"; "a prospective mother"; "a prospective bride"; "the statute is solely prospective in operation"
1. adj (gen) → retrospettivo/a; (pay rise) (Law) → retroattivo/a
2. n (Art) → retrospettiva
___ study → estudio ___.