anomaly(redirected from rhinocephaly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. a·nom·a·lies
1. Deviation or departure from the normal or common order, form, or rule.
2. One that is peculiar, irregular, abnormal, or difficult to classify: "Both men are anomalies: they have ... likable personalities but each has made his reputation as a heavy" (David Pauly).
3. Astronomy The angular deviation, as observed from the sun, of a planet from its perihelion.
n, pl -lies
1. something anomalous
2. deviation from the normal or usual order, type, etc; irregularity
3. (Astronomy) deviation from the normal or usual order, type, etc; irregularity
4. (Astronomy) astronomy
a. Also called: true anomaly the angle between a planet, the sun, and the previous perihelion of the planet
b. Also called: eccentric anomaly the angle between the periapsis of a particular point on a circle round the orbit as seen from the centre of the orbit. This point is obtained by producing a perpendicular to the major axis of the ellipse through the orbiting body until it reaches the circumference of the circle
c. Also called: mean anomaly the angle between the periapsis of an orbit and the position of an imaginary body orbiting at a constant angular speed and in the same period as the real orbiting body
5. (Geological Science) geology
a. Also called: gravity anomaly a deviation from the normal value of gravity at the earth's surface, caused by density differences at depth, for example those caused by a buried mineral body
b. Also called: magnetic anomaly a magnetic field, for example one produced by a buried mineral body, that deviates from an expected or standard value, usually that of the earth's magnetic field
aˌnomaˈlistic, aˌnomaˈlistical adj
a•nom•a•ly(əˈnɒm ə li)
n., pl. -lies.
1. a deviation from the common type, rule, arrangement, or form; irregularity; abnormality.
2. someone or something anomalous.
3. an unexpected, unusual, or strange condition, situation, or quality.
4. Astron. a quantity measured in degrees, defining the position of an orbiting body with respect to the point at which it is nearest to or farthest from its primary.
[1565–75; < Latin < Greek]
Something that is unusual, irregular, or abnormal: Flooding is an anomaly in desert regions of Africa.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||anomaly - deviation from the normal or common order or form or rule|
birth defect, congenital abnormality, congenital anomaly, congenital defect, congenital disorder - a defect that is present at birth
|2.||anomaly - a person who is unusual |
individual, mortal, person, somebody, someone, soul - a human being; "there was too much for one person to do"
anachronism - a person who seems to be displaced in time; who belongs to another age
aberrant - one whose behavior departs substantially from the norm of a group
albino - a person with congenital albinism: white hair and milky skin; eyes are usually pink
automaton, zombi, zombie - someone who acts or responds in a mechanical or apathetic way; "only an automaton wouldn't have noticed"
behemoth, colossus, goliath, monster, giant - someone or something that is abnormally large and powerful
Jekyll and Hyde - someone with two personalities - one good and one evil
kook, odd fellow, odd fish, odd man out, queer bird, queer duck - someone regarded as eccentric or crazy and standing out from a group
misfit - someone unable to adapt to their circumstances
ugly duckling - an ugly or unpromising child who grows into a beautiful or worthy person
|3.||anomaly - (astronomy) position of a planet as defined by its angular distance from its perihelion (as observed from the sun)|
astronomy, uranology - the branch of physics that studies celestial bodies and the universe as a whole
anomaly[əˈnɒməlɪ] N → anomalía f
anomaly[əˈnɒməli] n → anomalie f
anomaly[əˈnɒməlɪ] n → anomalia
n. trastorno, anomalía, irregularidad contraída o congénita.