Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A long narrow upper section or crest: the ridge of a wave.
a. A long, narrow, elevated section of the earth's surface, such as a chain of hills or mountains or the divide between adjacent valleys.
b. A long mountain range on the ocean floor.
3. A narrow, elongated zone of relatively high atmospheric pressure. Also called wedge.
4. A long, narrow, or crested part of the body: the ridge of the nose.
5. The horizontal line formed by the juncture of two sloping planes, especially the line formed by the surfaces at the top of a roof.
6. A narrow, raised strip, as in cloth or on plowed ground.
v. ridged, ridg·ing, ridg·es
To mark with, form into, or provide with a ridge or ridges.
To form a ridge or ridges.
having a ridge or ridges