Also found in: Encyclopedia.
1. (Telecommunications) (intr) chiefly Brit to report to someone by telephone
2. (tr) to accompany the arrival of with bells (esp in the phrase ring in the new year)
3. (Horse Racing) (tr) Austral to substitute (a horse) fraudulently for another horse in a race
4. (tr) informal Austral and NZ to recruit or include (a person)
5. (Horse Racing) informal Austral a horse that serves as a substitute
6. informal Austral and NZ a person or thing that is not normally a member of a particular group; outsider