phoenix(redirected from rising like a phoenix from the ashes)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia.
The capital and largest city of Arizona, in the south-central part of the state northwest of Tucson. Founded in the 1860s on the site of an ancient Hohokam settlement, it became territorial capital in 1889 and state capital in 1912.
phoe·nixalso phe·nix (fē′nĭks)
1. Mythology A bird in Egyptian mythology that lived in the desert for 500 years and then consumed itself by fire, later to rise renewed from its ashes.
2. A person or thing of unsurpassed excellence or beauty; a paragon.
3. Phoenix A constellation in the Southern Hemisphere near Tucana and Sculptor.
[Middle English fenix, from Old English and Old French, both from Medieval Latin fēnix, from Latin phoenix, from Greek phoinix.]
1. (Classical Myth & Legend) a legendary Arabian bird said to set fire to itself and rise anew from the ashes every 500 years
2. a person or thing of surpassing beauty or quality
[Old English fenix, via Latin from Greek phoinix; identical in form with Greek Phoinix Phoenician, purple]
n, Latin genitive Phoenices (ˈfiːnɪˌsiːz)
(Celestial Objects) a constellation in the S hemisphere lying between Grus and Eridanus
(Placename) a city in central Arizona, capital city of the state, on the Salt River. Pop: 1 388 416 (2003 est)
1. (sometimes cap.) a fabulous bird that after a life of five or six centuries immolates itself on a pyre and rises from the ashes to begin a new cycle of years: often an emblem of immortality or of reborn idealism or hope.
2. a person or thing that has been restored after suffering calamity or apparent annihilation.
[before 900; Middle English, Old English fenix < Latin phoenīx < Greek phoînīx]
the capital of Arizona, in the central part. 1,159,014.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||Phoenix - the state capital and largest city located in south central Arizona; situated in a former desert that has become a prosperous agricultural area thanks to irrigation|
|2.||phoenix - a large monocotyledonous genus of pinnate-leaved palms found in Asia and Africa|
liliopsid genus, monocot genus - genus of flowering plants having a single cotyledon (embryonic leaf) in the seed
|3.||phoenix - a legendary Arabian bird said to periodically burn itself to death and emerge from the ashes as a new phoenix; according to most versions only one phoenix lived at a time and it renewed itself every 500 years|
mythical being - an imaginary being of myth or fable
|4.||Phoenix - a constellation in the southern hemisphere near Tucana and Sculptor|
عَنْقاء، طائِر خُرافي
phoenix[ˈfiːnɪks] N → fénix m
phoenix[ˈfiːnɪks] n → fenice f
a mythological bird that burns itself and is born again from its own ashes. feniks عَنْقاء، طائِر خُرافي феникс fênix fénix der Phönix fugl Føniks φοίνικαςfénix fööniks ققنوس feeniks-lintu phénix פֶּנִיקס एक अमर पक्षी feniks (mitska ptica) főnix burung funiks fönix fenice 不死身 불사조 feniksas fēnikss burung phoenix feniksfugl Føniks feniks عنقا، هما ( يوافسانوي مرغه fénix phoenix феникс fénix feniks feniks fågel Fenix นกฟินิกซ์ anka (kuşu) 鳳凰 фенікс سيمرغ، ققنس، ايک خيالي پرندہ chim phượng hoàng 凤凰