Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. Abbr. Rd. An open, generally public way for the passage of vehicles, people, and animals.
b. The surface of a road; a roadbed.
2. A course or path: the road to riches.
3. A railroad.
4. often roads Nautical A roadstead.
down the road
In the future; at a later date.
on the road
1. On tour, as a theatrical company.
2. Traveling, especially as a salesperson.
3. Wandering, as a vagabond.
[Middle English rode, rade, a riding, road, from Old English rād; see reidh- in the Appendix of Indo-European roots.]
- carfax, carrefour - A carfax or carrefour is a place where (usually four) roads or streets meet, from French carrefurcs, from Latin quadrifurcus, "four forks."
- multivious - Having many paths or roads.
- invious - Describes something that is pathless or without roads.
- jiggle-bars, rumble strips - The rough spots intentionally created on the sides of roads to alert drivers are jiggle-bars or rumble strips.