Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to roan: Roan Antelope
Having a chestnut, bay, or sorrel coat thickly sprinkled with white or gray: a roan horse.
a. The characteristic coloring of a roan horse.
b. A roan horse or other animal.
2. A soft flexible sheepskin leather, often treated to resemble morocco and used in bookbinding.
(Breeds) (of a horse) having a bay (red roan), chestnut (strawberry roan), or black (blue roan) coat sprinkled with white hairs
1. (Breeds) a horse having such a coat
2. (Tanning) a soft unsplit sheepskin leather with a close tough grain, used in bookbinding, etc
[C16: from Old French, from Spanish roano, probably from Gothic rauths red]
1. (chiefly of horses) of the color sorrel, chestnut, or bay, sprinkled with gray or white.n.
2. a horse or other animal with a roan coat.
[1520–30; < Middle French (French rouan) < Sp roano, of uncertain orig.]
1. a soft, flexible sheepskin leather, used in bookbinding, often made to imitate morocco.adj.
2. prepared with or bound in roan.
[1810–20; of obscure orig.; relation, if any, with 16th century, late Middle English rone “a kind of hide” is unclear]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||roan - a soft sheepskin leather that is colored and finished to resemble morocco; used in bookbinding|
leather - an animal skin made smooth and flexible by removing the hair and then tanning
|2.||roan - a horse having a brownish coat thickly sprinkled with white or gray|
|Adj.||1.||roan - (used of especially horses) having a brownish coat thickly sprinkled with white or grey; "a roan horse"|