Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Of or belonging to the rose family.
2. Resembling the flower of a rose.
[From Latin rosāceus, made of roses, from rosa, rose.]
1. (Botany) of, relating to, or belonging to the Rosaceae, a family of flowering plants typically having white, yellow, pink, or red five-petalled flowers. The family includes the rose, strawberry, blackberry, and many fruit trees such as apple, cherry, and plum
2. (Colours) of the colour rose; rose-coloured; rosy
[C18: from Latin rosāceus composed of roses, from rosa rose1]
1. belonging to the plant family Rosaceae. Compare rose family.
2. having a corolla of five broad petals, like that of a rose.
3. like a rose; roselike.
4. rose-colored; rosy.
[1725–35; < Latin rosāceus made of roses <ros(a) rose1]