rough-hew(redirected from rough-hews)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
tr.v. rough-hewed, rough-hewed or rough-hewn (-hyo͞on′), rough-hew·ing, rough-hews
1. To hew or shape (timber, for example) roughly, without finishing.
2. To make in rough form.
vb (tr) , -hews, -hewing, -hewed, -hewed or -hewn
1. (Building) to cut or hew (timber, stone, etc) roughly without finishing the surface
2. Also: roughcast to shape roughly or crudely
v.t. -hewed, -hewed or -hewn, -hew•ing.
1. to hew (timber, stone, etc.) roughly or without smoothing or finishing.
2. to shape roughly; give crude form to.
Past participle: rough-hewed/rough-hewn