Also found in: Thesaurus, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to roundhouse: roundhouse punch
1. A usually circular or semicircular building constructed around a central turntable and used for housing and switching locomotives.
2. Nautical A cabin on the after part of the quarterdeck of a ship.
3. Games A meld of four kings and four queens in pinochle.
4. Sports A punch or kick delivered with a sweeping movement from one side.
1. (Railways) a circular building in which railway locomotives are serviced or housed, radial tracks being fed by a central turntable
2. (Boxing) boxing slang
a. a swinging punch or style of punching
b. (as modifier): a roundhouse style.
3. (Card Games) pinochle US a meld of all four kings and queens
4. an obsolete word for jail
5. (Nautical Terms) obsolete a cabin on the quarterdeck of a sailing ship
n., pl. -hous•es (-ˌhaʊ zɪz)
1. a building for the servicing and repair of locomotives, built around a turntable.
2. a cabin on the after part of a quarterdeck.
3. a punch delivered with an exaggerated circular motion.
4. a meld in pinochle of one king and queen of each suit.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||roundhouse - workplace consisting of a circular building for repairing locomotives|
|2.||roundhouse - a hook delivered with an exaggerated swing|
hook - a short swinging punch delivered from the side with the elbow bent