Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to sabbatical: sabbatical leave, sabbatical year
sab·bat·i·cal(sə-băt′ĭ-kəl) also sab·bat·ic (-ĭk)
1. Relating to a sabbatical year.
2. Sabbatical also Sabbatic Relating or appropriate to the Sabbath as the day of rest.
A sabbatical year.
[From Late Latin sabbaticus, from Greek sabbatikos, from sabbaton, Sabbath; see Sabbath.]
(Protestantism) of, relating to, or appropriate to the Sabbath as a day of rest and religious observance
(Bible) short for sabbatical year
1. (Education) denoting a period of leave granted to university staff, teachers, etc, esp approximately every seventh year: a sabbatical year; sabbatical leave.
2. (Education) denoting a post that renders the holder eligible for such leave
(Education) any sabbatical period
[C16: from Greek sabbatikos; see Sabbath]
sab•bat•i•cal(səˈbæt ɪ kəl)
1. (cap.) of or appropriate to the Sabbath.
2. pertaining to a sabbatical year.n.
4. any extended period of leave from one's customary work.
[1605–15; < Greek sabbatikós (sábbaton) Sabbath]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||sabbatical - a leave usually taken every seventh year|
leave, leave of absence - the period of time during which you are absent from work or duty; "a ten day's leave to visit his mother"
sabbatical year - a sabbatical leave lasting one year
|Adj.||1.||sabbatical - of or relating to the Sabbath; "Friday is a sabbatical day for Muslims"|
|2.||sabbatical - of or relating to sabbatical leave; "sabbatical research project"|