Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A heavy cavalry sword with a one-edged, slightly curved blade.
2. A light dueling or fencing sword having an arched guard covering the hand and a tapered flexible blade with a cutting edge on one side and on the tip.
tr.v. sa·bered, sa·ber·ing, sa·bers
1. To hit, injure, or kill with a saber.
2. To remove the tip of (a Champagne bottle) by swiping a saber or similar instrument along the bottle's seam until it hits the lip at the bottle's tip. The pressure inside the bottle causes the tip of the glass and the cork to shoot off together.
[French sabre, from obsolete German sabel, from Middle High German, from Hungarian szablya, perhaps (probably via a word in a Turkic language akin to Kyrgyz selebe) ultimately of Tungusic origin; akin to Manchu seleme, dagger, from sele, iron.]
1. a one-edged sword, usu. slightly curved, used esp. by cavalry.
2. a soldier armed with such a sword.
a. a fencing sword having two cutting edges and a blunt point.
b. the art or sport of fencing with the saber.
4. to strike, wound, or kill with a saber.
[1670–80; < French sabre, sable < German Sabel, ultimately < Polish szabla]
Past participle: sabered
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||saber - a fencing sword with a v-shaped blade and a slightly curved handle|
fencing - the art or sport of fighting with swords (especially the use of foils or epees or sabres to score points under a set of rules)
fencing sword - a sword used in the sport of fencing
|2.||saber - a stout sword with a curved blade and thick back|
scimitar - a curved oriental saber; the edge is on the convex side of the blade
|Verb||1.||saber - cut or injure with a saber|
cut - separate with or as if with an instrument; "Cut the rope"
|2.||saber - kill with a saber|
kill - cause to die; put to death, usually intentionally or knowingly; "This man killed several people when he tried to rob a bank"; "The farmer killed a pig for the holidays"
sabre(American) saber (ˈseibə) noun
a type of curved sword, used by cavalry. sabel سَيْف сабя sabre šavle der Säbel sabel καμπυλωτό ξίφος του ιππικού sable saabel شمشير بلند و خميده نظامي sapeli sabre חֶרֶב פָּרָשִים तलवार sablja kard pedang riddarasverð sciabola サーベル 군도 kardas zobens pedang lengkung sabelsabelszabla توره sabre sabie сабля, шашка šabľa sablja sablja sabel ดาบโค้ง süvari kılıcı 馬刀，軍刀 шабля خمدار تلوار kiếm lưỡi cong của kị binh 马刀，军刀